As much as I would love to be able to give an accurate all-inclusive figure for app development, I can only provide a ballpark until some key factors and questions have been answered. It is a ‘How long is a piece of string?' sort of question, as it is determined by many factors that collectively influence the final figure. Here are the primary considerations:
- App discovery and designing – what an app will look like based on a business use case
- App purpose and complexity – what an app will actually be capable of doing and the logic behind it
- Features and functionality – will the app be using location services, push notifications, in-app purchases, etc.
- Revenue Generation – will there be in-app ads, in-app purchases, paid app after trial period, subscription model, etc.
- Maintenance plan and continuous improvements – once an app development project is over, it will still require technical support and software updates
Thus far in my experience, the development of a very basic app (e.g. a few user inputs and a simple calculation engine) may take 250 hours at the very low end. At my development rate of $50/hour, this equals a project cost of $12,500 before tax.